This has to be one of the sweetest things that I have ever read or written about. It’s a gesture of love that very few people can match, and thankfully it’s not as weird as this kind of love. Comedian Jack Benny bequeathed in his will that a red rose should be given to his wife after his death. In reality that’s not too spectacular a gesture or task to perform, but it wasn’t only one red rose once. It was a gesture of unadulterated love that would span nearly a decade.
In our busy lives today we can often forget the little things in life. The things that seem small and insignificant, but can have an overwhelming emotional impact. I’m talking about our loved ones. Sometimes it’s nice to give those closest to you a pleasant surprise just to show them that they mean something special to you. What better way, if you’re a man, than to give flowers? The chances are that the love of your life will not only appreciate the gift, but also cherish it. But what do you do when you are gone? You may be in a hole six feet down, but the love that the to of you shared spans all time. Well, you could do something special, just like Jack Benny did.
When comedian Jack Benny died in 1974 he arranged in his will for his wife to receive a long stem red rose every day for the rest of her life. I can hear everyone gushing. That was a special gift, and one that few have ever tried to match. So I guess that you’re wondering how many of these red roses from Jack Benny’s will his wife received? A lot.
His wife, Mary Livingstone, died 9 years later. Due to his loving gesture, Jack Benny ensured in his will that his wife got a total of over 3200 red roses. One a day for over 9 years. I tip my hat to you Jack. Well done.
Although this fact isn’t necessarily about Valentines Day, it is about love, so here are a few lovely facts about Valentines day and love.
- Parents receive about 1 in every 5 Valentines.
- Men but 73% of the flowers on Valentines day.
- Women purchase 85% of all Valentines.
- 50 million roses are given for Valentines day each year world wide.
- About 3% of pet owners will give their pets a valentines gift
If you enjoyed this fact you may also like:
- How long was Bill Murray stuck in Groundhog day? The answer is a disturbingly long time
- Tom and Jerry had a suicidal episode
- Lucille Ball produced Star Trek. Find out what else she was involved with
- Hulk Hogan passed on the foreman Grill. Find out why
- Did Mel Blanc have a carrot allergy? We have the answer right here