Does the close door button work on elevators?

Spread the love
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Does the close door button work on elevators

If you’ve ever ridden in an elevator, chances are you’ve pressed the “close door” button in an attempt to speed up the process. But have you ever wondered if those buttons actually work? According to some reports, the answer may surprise you.

In the United States, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that elevators remain open for a set amount of time to allow individuals with disabilities to enter and exit. This means that in most cases, the “close door” button is actually a placebo, designed to give riders a sense of control rather than any actual power.

A study conducted by the New York Times in 2004 found that in the majority of cases, the “close door” button does not actually work. The study observed 100 elevators in New York City and found that only 25% of the “close door” buttons had any effect on the elevator’s behavior. The other 75% of the time, the doors closed at a predetermined interval and the button had no effect.

However, there are some situations in which the “close door” button may work. For example, in some elevators, the button is programmed to work only when a key is inserted or a code is entered, giving certain individuals, such as maintenance workers or building managers, the ability to use it. In other cases, the button may work in certain buildings or in certain situations, depending on the programming of the elevator.

Despite the fact that the “close door” button may not work in the majority of cases, it is still included in elevator design for a number of reasons. First, as mentioned earlier, it can give riders a sense of control and reduce frustration when waiting for an elevator. Additionally, it can serve as a backup option in case of a malfunction or emergency situation where the doors need to be closed quickly.

So, what can we take away from all of this? While the “close door” button may not work in most elevators, it is still included for a variety of reasons. If you’re in a rush, it may be worth giving the button a try, but don’t count on it to make a significant difference in the elevator’s behavior. Instead, focus on enjoying the ride and taking in the sights and sounds of your surroundings.

In conclusion, the percentage of “close door” buttons that actually work is relatively low, with most elevators designed to follow a predetermined time interval. While the button may give riders a sense of control and serve as a backup option in emergency situations, it is not a reliable way to speed up the elevator’s behavior. So the next time you’re in an elevator, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!




Leave a Comment